Life was tough in remote communities in the early part of the 19th century, producing many hardy individuals. One such was Abraham Bastard (1789 - 1868) of Upton, Treligga whose fame across Cornwall as a wrestler, strong man and later a well known local preacher (1822 -)(1) helped to put Treligga on the map.
Treligga is the most remote hamlet in St Teath Parish and even has a one word mention in the Doomsday Book. It occupies a very exposed position close to the cliffs between Tregardock and Trebarwith. Despite this exposure, it has its own charm and the entire hamlet is a conservation area. The location, rugged yet attractive, quiet, good cliff walks and no through traffic has persuaded many of the merits of Treligga as a holiday destination. One of the results is that few properties are occupied on a year-round basis.
An early 1900s photo of the village is shown below.
Photo: Brenda Burnard
Compare this with the April 2008 panorama below taken from roughly the same angle (put mouse pointer over the picture to pan).
Apart from more vegetation, for example the chapel on the left of the old photo is now surrounded by more trees, the striking feature is that the field boundaries in the distance have nearly all gone. As is well documented 1,2,3 the reason for this is the use of the land as a glider field and later as a naval gunnery range/emergency landing field from 1940 to the late 1950s. There is an old aerial photo of the range at Treligga here and the recently renovated observation tower from that time is on the right of the panorama.
A walk around Treligga
Click on any thumbnail image below to view full size - best to start from top left. On the full size photo hover mouse pointer over image and click NEXT or PREV(ious) to see a sequence. Alternatively, press forward arrow or backward arrow keys to see more. Exit by clicking CLOSE or press the Esc key.
Additional information or amendments are welcome - please go to Contact. Old photos were kindly supplied by Brenda Burnard.
(1) Shaw, Thomas, Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743 - 1963, published 1963, p189. We thank John Jones for helpful comments.Top