St Teath Methodist Church
Minister: Rev Bryan Ede Tel 01840 770274
You can read monthly messages from the minister in Timepiece.
St Teath Church Council contact: Heather Hill e-mail
Services - October 2013
Sunday 6th 11.00 am Mr B Parsons
Sunday 13th 11.00 am Harvest Festival at Parish Church
Sunday 20th 11.00 am Rev Bryan Ede, Holy Communion
Sunday 27th 11.00 am Mr D DanielServices 2012 (pdf)
For anyone interested in the history of Methodism in the area, the book by Rev Thomas Shaw is recommended. The title is 'Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963', published in 1963. A copy is kept at Camelford Library. See short summary here.
Work started on the present Grade II listed Methodist chapel in Trevilley Lane (shown above) in 1869, designed to seat 300 people.
Nameplate now in Parish Church
The building on the right in Trevilley Lane is now a private residence. It was also used as a Sunday School prior to its sale for residential use. There was a Bible Christian Chapel, now demolished, in North Road near the junction with Treroosal Road, see map here. They amalgamated with other methodists in 1907. The Bible Christians previously held services in the 'long room of the inn', presumably what is now 'Greystones' in Fore Street. The same map calls this the Old White Hart. The preacher John Wesley (1703 - 1791) was well known in the area for promoting the Methodist cause, although there were no chapels in St Teath at that time. Shaw's book does not make it clear whether he ever preached in St Teath, but he seems to have been a visitor to Trewalder and preached there several times. The diary of John Wesley (1) mentions a visit to St Teath in 1745.
According to MacLean, (see here) the church in Trevilley lane was originally the site of a Methodist meeting house founded in 1815. These meeting houses were constructed by so-called Dissenters, those who refuse to adhere to the rites of the established church (of England). At one stage the dissenters separated from the Methodists to form a Wesleyan group which reverted back to the Methodist ideals as a Sunday School. The present Grade II listed building, designed to seat 300, was founded in 1869 on the same site.
There is a small cemetery adjacent to the old Trevilley Lane sunday school - more details here.
(1) Wesleys in Cornwall by John Pearce, publisher D.B.Barton,1964.